Saturday, April 10, 2010

Yummy Mummy? Where?

I have a confession to make.

As I get out and about through the course of my day, I notice women. These women are dressed nicely in fashionable clothing, high heels, with well applied make up, and neat, foiled, GHD styled hair. Chances are they are also toting a fancy looking handbag and some brand name sunglasses. And clearly they work out with those sculpted arms and their tiny waists- or else just have really good genes. When I see these women, I can’t help but turn my head to wistfully stare as they walk past and internally sigh, “That used to be me!”

Okay, to be fair, I was never that perfect. That would be giving myself a little too much credit. I make it sound like I was this glamorous model or something. But at one time, I did actually dress myself nicely, wear make up, and do my hair. I didn’t have all the accessories and my arms were never really sculpted. But the point is, I looked a lot different to the way I do now.

Now when I look in the mirror, I see my mass of wild hair (ever heard of Medusa?) which is usually tied back in an unattractive ball, just to get out of my face. My eyebrows and eyelashes are pale, overdue for a tint. I have dark circles beneath my sunken eyes and no make up on my face. And that’s just my head!

I suppose it is only natural for self -esteem to take a nose dive in these circumstances. Maybe you are wondering what could possibly account for this transformation? In case you haven’t figured it out already, I’ll tell you: Motherhood!

I am doing the most important job in the world, and I believe, the hardest. I am 25 years old raising my three crazy pre-school age children without a whole lot of knowledge on the subject, and this doesn’t leave much time for me, particularly for personal grooming and exercise.

Don’t judge me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we're the same age, neat.
    And I always see you and wonder how you can look so pretty and put together. I think you're doing a lot better than you realise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second that! Caitlin you always look gorgeous. When you're at the gym it is a different kind of gorgeous ;) but damn it you look great. Motherhood sure does make you take stock of just how much time is reasonable to spend on ones appearance. Plus if you get as sick as we do during pregnancy appearance drops very low on the scale of importance. It is nice though when we slowly, slowly get a little more time for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, followers! Oooh, comments! So exciting. Thanks girls for your kind words. You should know I put some effort in for going to church! I think for me personally it does help me to feel better and more confident if I can take some small measures to look after my appearance. It makes me feel more like a 25 year old than a tired mum. Taking care of myself is directly linked to self-esteem and a positive attitude. Ali and Maureen, do you find this at all?

    ReplyDelete

About this blog

Followers