Saturday, April 10, 2010

Battle of the bulge

Now that I have children, and my time is no longer my own, my options for exercising are: when the kids are asleep, so basically….never.

Do I sound like I have given up? I haven’t! I am still trying hard. I know the frustration that comes from pausing my cardio workout every 2 minutes to give a baby back her dummy, or to pull my toddlers off each other, or stop them ramming their bikes into the baby’s bassinet. I know how awkward it is to hold an infant in your arms as you sit pedalling madly on a stationary bike (and did I mention ridiculously hot, like clutching a hot water bottle?) I have stayed up late, or gotten up at 5 am in order to have some quiet time to exercise at home, or to go for a run before the kids wake up.

I can also be seen walking with my double pram and a Baby Bjorn sling strapped to my chest doing the kindy run. That’s got to be effective going up hills. And let’s not forget my efforts to do yoga from a DVD at home with a toddler plonked on my lap and then ”riding horsey” as I attempted down dog stance. But I have not given up yet, all this opposition is making me more determined!

Surely all the running around I do will help me lose the baby weight, others suggest. Really, some days I don’t stop and sit down until the afternoon when the kids are having a nap, and even then, sometimes I will still be trying to get some jobs done. I am rushed and sweaty and tired. But on those days, when the kids do actually have a nap, the first thing I want to do is make a mad dash to the fridge. Woohoo! Quiet time! A chance to eat by myself without Isabel hopping up onto the table, fluttering her eyelashes and saying,” Can I like some toooooooo?” Now where is the most chocolatey, fattening, forbidden thing I can find? And if I can’t find anything, then where is the cooking chocolate that will suffice?

So anyway, how is it I haven’t lost the weight yet???

1 comment:

  1. It's like the stress from all of that running around actually negates the burning of energy. Stress seems to pile the weight on especially when you find yourself in the vicinity of the fridge for most of the day and night.

    I'd highly recommend more relaxation time to go along with the exercise and healthy eating plan. Just 10 minutes here and there can be very helpful. (says me whose kids are both in school!!!)

    ReplyDelete

About this blog

Followers