Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Hello, sexy!"

Over the last year or so, since Jack has started attending school, he has come home with some choice phrases. "YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND ANYMORE!!" is often used when as parents we stand by any rule, typically followed by "You're not coming to my birthday party!!" (Fine, have fun at this 'party' of yours...)

Then there are some less common ones, like "What the HACK???" (Admittedly, it could be worse.) And the most recent. "Mummy, Dylan says to me 'Hello, sexy' and it's soooo funny!" Jack mentioned this as the whole family was in the car, driving Daddy to work. Dave and I exchanged glances, both of us clearly unsure how (or if?) to proceed. I wasn't sure if this was something that should be discussed, or simply better ignored, after all he is only four.

Jack said it again,"Hello, sexy!" and exploded into fits of laughter.

So I said,"Jack, do you know what 'sexy' means?"
"No."
"Do you think you should say 'sexy' if you don't know what it means?"

And then the obvious moment I walked right into.

"What does sexy mean?"
I caught Dave's eye again, this time I'm pretty sure my eyes were saying HELP ME, but of course there was absolute silence from his side of the car.

"Sexy is something for adults. So you don't need to worry about it now."

Now imagine more silence, and more worried facial expressions at Dave.

And that was it! So now, I don't know that I actually accomplished what I intended, and I don't know what exactly I intended to accomplish, and I don't know if this will come up again. And if it does, I still don't have a better answer. My best answer is "I'll tell you when you're older!"

And if all else fails, there are still two other kids.

1 comment:

  1. I was the "practise" (eldest child). And I turned out (*twitch twitch) ok. :)

    ReplyDelete

About this blog

Followers